Name:
Location: Texas, United States

a follower of Jesus Christ and student of ancient Hebrew and Greek scriptures

Monday, November 27, 2006

COMMUNITY

A good friend of mine asked, “How has the Western lens of evangelism in the last 50 years that promoted the idea of a "personal salvation" affected authentic Christian community?”

I believe emphasis on personal salvation (almost to the exclusion of consideration of God’s purpose to renew all creation) programs a person to believe that the essence of spirituality is to be saved from the judgment that is coming upon this earth. I am now in the waiting area waiting for my escape from this doomed planet. God has provided some goodies and entertainment to keep me from being bored. The enemy also has provided some goodies and entertainment. My assignment while waiting is to eat God’s goodies and avoid the enemy’s goodies so that people will want to accept the same escape route as I have. In this view of salvation, Christian community is defined as those who share the waiting room with me. And though most are pretty good company, after awhile some of them get on my nerves.

“When is that rescue ship going to arrive?!!”

3 Comments:

Blogger garrett_md said...

I would appreciate you writing a blog about your thoughts on "God's purpose to renew all creation." That might help provide a framework to better understand what you mean here.

3:53 PM  
Blogger clayton said...

Good post.

[stepping on soap box]
The other thing I don't like about "personal salvation" experiences in relation to community is that it makes Christianity all about ME. It's MY walk with God, MY faith, MY choices, MY desires becoming more important than Gods.

We miss the root of John 3:16..."for God so loved the WORLD...". Yes, the world does include me, but not only me, EVERYBODY...EVERYTHING! Jesus didn't die for me, He died for the world. There is a big difference.

I think the evangelistic/personal salvation experience leans to heavily on the Biblical account of Saul's conversion to Paul. What about Peter? Instead of a blinding encounter on a road, there was struggle, shame, denial, and process.

The goal isn't conversion. The goal is process/growth.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

:) I really like this post. "Christian community is defined as those who share the waiting room with me. And though most are pretty good company, after awhile, some of them get on my nerves." That made me laugh because it's so true.

As far as personal salvation affecting the authentic Christian community is concerned, I think that the impact has been profound. The key word to me here is "authentic". If Christians in a truly Christian community are following Christ as well as they can, the Christian community will grow. Individuals will be able to build each other up and hold each other accountable.

I really like your analogy. Very creative and well stated. :)

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home