Name:
Location: Texas, United States

a follower of Jesus Christ and student of ancient Hebrew and Greek scriptures

Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Musical Ebenezars

Do you know what an Ebenezar is?  It is the name that Samuel gave to a rock that he set up to remember a particular battle that the Israelites won over the Philistines.  It was to remind them in the future of God's work on their behalf in the past.  I have several musical Ebenezers.  As I was going to Alice yesterday, I was listening to a station that plays music that you would hear in doctors' offices.  It isn't Muzak, but close.  They play oldies as instrumentals. Sometimes they play the oldies, if they are easy listening.  B. J. Thomas came on.  It wasn't one of his more popular songs, but it made me want to look him up on the playlist site and then on Youtube.  I found a bunch of songs from one of his first Christian albums.  He was one of the first Christian artists I listened to.  Listening to the songs took me back to a time when I was simply enraptured by the fact that God loved me and forgave me.  I didn't think "pastorally" or "theologically", I just knew that I experienced grace in an incredible way.  Lately, God has reminded me how much I still need grace and how much He wants to give it and how much He has given it. 

"Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit" – David (Psalm 51:12)

I think that this a good reason for younger generations to be more open and accepting of songs and hymns of older generations. Many are the Ebenezers of their older brothers and sisters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home